Doug's Intro

Animator/Illustrator/Student Director

A drawing is an idea. As an animator, I turn ideas into stories.
I am currently a junior at the Kansas City Art Institute. It's been a blessing and privilege to be a student there after earning my AFA at the Southwestern Illinois College in Belleville, IL. I keep this as a journal of my latest projects and explorations in animation.

Vimeo - http://vimeo.com/user4679231
DeviantArt - http://drmeloche.deviantart.com/

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Walk Cycles


Walking Female from Douglas Meloche on Vimeo.
This is the first successful walk cycle I produced. One thing I love about this is the fact that no matter how many times you do walk cycles there's always a way to make it better. The toughest part is knowing when you've done all you can to a specific drawing and it's time to move on to the next step.


Walking Male from Douglas Meloche on Vimeo.
Here I improved on the original drawings after completing the female walk. I needed to give the figure a more forceful step to show the more deliberate, male movement.


Walking Light from Douglas Meloche on Vimeo.
This is the most rewarding walk cycle I've executed so far.
I began sketching this animation by asking myself, "What causes someone to have a very light step?" Without even realizing it, I was beginning the steps of creating personality animation.
I was thinking about what motivated a very light walk, and how the body would move to create this gesture. It was remarkable to finally see exactly what I imagined come to life in this little figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment